22 Dec 2011

Innovations

This year, for my Innovations project I have decided to look at the work of Egon Schiele. I've been drawn towards his style since I first saw his work a few years ago in an exhibition about mental illness at the Wellcome Collection.

The aim of my project is to recreate an animated portrait in his style in 3D. Rather than trying to mimic the properties of a 2D painting,which is very difficult using a computer, I am going to consider how an artist like Schiele would approach new working in new media which was not available for them to use. His work often involved abstracting and distorting the human body, with sketchy lines and rough textured colours adding to the anarchic feel of his work. Here is a selection of some of my favourites demonstrating his technique.

Self Portrait
Self Portrait


Inspector Heinrich Benesch and his son Otto 1910
Erwin Osen 1910



I have started looking at his approach by sketching people in this quick style. I did a self-portrait trying to replicate his line quality and caricature, squashing the face (which makes it look hilariously feminine). The plan is to do many of these in different poses, with different levels of abstraction, so I have a decent amount of designs to select from for my 3D model. I'm also going to be exploring his use of colour and paint texture, which I feel is a vital part of his work.

No comments:

Post a Comment